By JOSH VITALE, SunCoast Sports
- What: Tampa Bay Rays at Boston Red Sox
- Where: jetBlue Park at Fenway South, Fort Myers
- When: 1:05 p.m.
- Starters: LH Matt Moore vs. LH Felix Doubront
Today’s Rays lineup
- Logan Forsythe – 3B
- David DeJesus – DH
- Wil Myers – RF
- Desmond Jennings – CF
- Sean Rodriguez – 1B
- Matt Joyce – LF
- Ryan Hanigan – C
- Jayson Nix – 2B
- Ray Olmedo – SS
News and notes:
- Outfielder Matt Joyce is back in the Rays’ lineup today after missing three games with a stiff neck.
- Juan Carlos Oviedo is on the Rays’ lineup card today. Manager Joe Maddon said yesterday that he might only pitch in minor league games so the Rays could backdate his disabled list stint, but it’s possible that he’ll pitch against the Red Sox today.
- After a night to let the news settle in, Jake Odorizzi is still excited about being the Rays’ fifth starter. He said this was the first time he had competed for a starting job at any level in his career. March 31 will also be the first major league Opening Day of his career.
- Cesar Ramos said he was disappointed that he did not win the fifth starter job, but that disappointment was tempered by the fact that he still has a roster spot with the Rays. He’ll likely pitch primarily as a long man out of the bullpen this season, but he also seemed excited about the fact that Maddon said he could end up pitching in higher-leverage situations late in games.
For live updates from the game, follow Josh on Twitter @JoshVitale